Welcome to The Game Shelf!

After getting into the board game hobby at the end of 2014, we've decided to share our thoughts on the games we're collecting on our shelves. The collection has certainly expanded over the last few years and we've been making up for lost time!

Sometimes our opinions differ, so Amy will be posting reviews every Tuesday and Fi will post on Thursdays. We hope you enjoy reading some of our opinions on board games - especially those for two players.

Get in touch by emailing thegameshelfblog@gmail.com

Saturday 9 January 2016

Overthinking by The Yellow Meeple:- Top 5 Games We Haven't Played in 2015


The list of games I’m still really keen to try from 2015 is almost as long as the list of games I did play from 2015. That’s not to mention that there are hundreds of 2015 games that I might get the opportunity to play, that I haven’t got excited about yet. Here’s the Yellow Meeple’s Top 5 games I haven’t played from 2015.

5. Thunderbirds is on my radar simply because it’s a Matt Leacock co-operative game. I’ve actually heard quite a mixed bag of reviews, but I’d still like to try it for myself as we still love Forbidden Desert, Pandemic and now Pandemic Legacy.

4. Flick ‘Em Up is a wild west themed dexterity game. Dexterity games are definitely not a big part of our gaming, but I had a great deal of fun when I tried Rampage earlier this year. The theme of Flick ‘Em Up is definitely appealing and I’d love to try this one out with a group of friends.

3. Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game is on my radar because the original Warhammer Quest is one of Amy’s earliest memories in gaming and when I first heard about the card game I was a bit disappointed that it wasn’t just a streamlining of the original. However, over time the great reviews for this co-operative card game have brought this one higher and higher up my wanted list. After playing Time Stories this year, a story-driven co-operative adventure has also started to sound appealing.

2. Elysium appeals because it is a drafting game and I’m yet to find a drafting game I do not enjoy. However, it does sound like it has higher levels of complexity with your decisions being very critical both in terms of benefiting yourself and hindering your opponents. I’m also starting to realise that euro-games, in spite of sometimes being intimidating, really do appeal to me.

1. Discoveries is a sequel to Lewis and Clark. We’ve played Lewis and Clark a number of times and really enjoyed it as a 2-player game. Unfortunately we’ve played it 3 or 4 times and every time we learn something new that we’ve got wrong in the rules – this makes it a little worrying to try and get it to the table again. Discoveries sounds like it mixes the good stuff in Lewis and Clark with some dice worker placement elements which we’ve enjoyed in Alien Frontiers and The Voyages of Marco Polo.

I can’t wait to try these games and more in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment